I live in the land of the Maya.
The Mayan people are astonishing and beautiful. They are incredibly strong and, in my experience, often kind, caring, grounded, wise and connected to the natural rhythms of the Earth, sun and moon.
For the past several years, I’ve been studying Mayan Cosmovision—specifically the sacred Mayan calendar with its system of 13 tones and 20 nawales (often spelled ‘nahuales’), or day signs.
I’ve had the pleasure of participating in dozens of Mayan ceremonies over the past 7 years. These are traditional fire ceremonies in which a Mayan spiritual guide opens a portal to commune in prayer with the spirits. We make offerings to the fire and the 20 gods that rule the 20 day signs.
Each day has both a number and a sign. There are 260 unique number/sign combinations in all.
The number and sign that occurred on the day of your birth are your personal day sign. Discover your Mayan birth sign is by using this site. The birth sign has two parts: a galactic tone, which is a number from one to 13, and a nawal, which is a day sign typically associated with spirit animals and natural element. There are 20 nawales in all. I am a 6 Kej (Deer).
The calendar number and sign that occurred on the day of your birth tell you your personal number and day sign. Discover your Mayan birth sign by using this site.
Here are my interpretations of the Mayan astrological system that I’ve studied:
13 Numerical Tones
1. Unity, solitude, solidarity, whole, first, beginning, self-guiding, complete, solo
2. Duality, dynamic, duos, desire for reunion, yin/yang
3. Action, will, power, effort, expression, rhythm, motion
4, Heart, love, action, stability, direction, dimension
5. Empowerment, communication, networks, investigation, listening
6. Flow, mind, thoughts into action, intuition, energy work, dynamic developments
7. Spirit, reflective, mirror, ethics, purpose, goals, spiritual path, practice, soulfulness
8. Justice, love, fairness, balance, organization, aura, pain-body, healing
9. Abiding love, patience, seeing the big picture, persevering, completing the circle
10. Creation, manifestation, collaboration, responsibility
11. Resolution, answers, signs, change, simplicity, improvement, refinement
12. Wisdom, understanding, retrospect, connecting parts to whole, interdependence
13. Completion, ascension, renewal, trying new things, trying again, finishing a cycle
~The Mayan Oracle
20 Birth Signs/Nahuales
IMOX – Crocodile people – intuitive, emotional, artistic, creative
IQ – Wind people – imaginative, romantic, nature lovers
AK’ABAL – Night people – soft-spoken, diplomatic, intelligent
K’AT – Net people – curious, perceptive, fiery
KAN – Snake people – powerful, intense, magnetic
KAME – Death people – peaceful, patient, intuitive
KEJ – Deer people – mighty, tenacious, independent
Q’ANIL – Star people – friendly, emotional, sensitive
T’OJ – Water people – warm, sincere, sensitive dreamers
T’ZI – Dog people – brave, loyal, unconditional love
B’ATZ – Monkey people – creative, clever, charismatic
E – Road people – practical, industrious, organized
AJ – Corn people – calm, creative, practical, good with money
IX – Jaguar people – courageous, curious, intelligent
T’ZI’KIN – Eagle people – friendly, sharp, smart, spiritual, sociable
AJMAQ – Vulture people – wise, introspective, patient, practical
N’OJ – Earth people – talented, analytical, visionary
TIJAX – Knife people – active, sharp, deeply challenged yet able to heal
KAWOQ – Storm people – tender, sensitive, nurturing, feminine
AJPU – Sun people – strong, healthy, positive, enthusiastic, brave
Leave a Reply